top of page

Weatherization Assistance Program

Areas Served:

Kentucky Counties: Allen, Barren, Butler, Edmonson, Harlan, Hart, Knox, Logan, Metcalf, Monroe, Simpson, and Warren.


The U.S. Department of Energy's Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is the nation's largest residential energy efficiency program. WAP enables low-income families to lower their energy bills by making their homes more energy efficient. Kentucky Housing Corporation (KHC) received funding for WAP through the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services' Low Income Heating Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). The WAP is delivered to individuals across the state by Community Action Kentucky's 22 local Community Action Agencies. KCEOC Community Action Partnership offers WAP in 12 Kentucky counties.

On average, low income families pay 14% (national average) of their yearly income towards their utility costs compared to 3% of other households. With every household feeling the pinch of inflation on their budgets, coupled with rising energy costs, more and more families are struggling to meet their utility cost responsibilities. The Weatherization Assistance Program provides a long term solution to help families lower energy waste and cost.

How it Works:

Trained inspectors and crews retrofit housing for eligible individuals at no cost. The work includes installing insulation, sealing the exterior, repairing ducts, and replacing heating equipment, where necessary. It is common for a family to save as much as $500 in utility bill costs in the year following the retrofit, depending on the household's usage habits, the climate in the area, and unit prices for the region.

Applications are assigned a point value. Priority points are given to the elderly, disabled applicants, and households with small children. Participants are served in order from highest to lowest total point value.

Required Documentation:

· Proof of current income

· Copies of Social Security Card(s) for all members in the household

· Copy of Deed or Mobile Home Title (available at County Clerk’s Office)

· Copies of current utility bills

· Proof of Disability (if applicable)

Renters are welcome to apply; landlords will be required to sign documents granting permission to participate in the program and permission to work on the home.

For more information call Katrina Burton at 606-546-3152 or email her at

bottom of page